REPAIR RESPONSIBILITY: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Burlington Hydro's responsibility is limited to our SERVICE LINE,
to the CONNECTION POINT where it meets with your equipment, and our METER.
What is BHI Obligated to Repair and What is the Customer's Responsibility?
If your home’s electrical equipment is damaged after a storm, you need to know what equipment belongs to Burlington Hydro and what equipment is your responsibility to repair. (Please note that we always recommend that you hire a licensed electrical contractor to make any repairs you are responsible for) Burlington Hydro is not authorized to repair privately-owned equipment.
BHI Owned Equipment and Responsibility
- Service wire: BHI is responsible for repairs to the wire that comes from the street to your home.
- Connection point: BHI is responsible for repairs to the connection point, which is where the service wire ends and your equipment begins.
- Electric meter: We are responsible for your meter and will replace or repair it as needed.
Customer Owned Equipment and Responsibility
Standpipe or mast: Damage to the cables and hardware running from the connection point down the side of your house and into your home, must be repaired by an Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) certified electrician, with the work approved by ESA, before we can restore your service.
Burlington Hydro is not authorized to repair privately owned equipment.
What to Do
- If your service stack or meter base are damaged, call a licensed electrician to repair the equipment. Find a licensed electrician or call 1.877.ESA.SAFE
- Your licensed electrician will complete the repairs, and then arrange with the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) to authorize re-connection with Burlington Hydro.