Ban on Electricity Disconnections ends July 31
July 27, 2020
This is to remind customers that the extended winter ban on electricity disconnections for non-payment ends this Friday, July 31, 2020.
Earlier this spring, the ban on winter electricity disconnections (Nov 15 to Apr 30) was extended to July 31, 2020, for all residential and small business customers. The measure was in response to financial hardships resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.
As such, no disconnections have been made over this time. In fact, no residential or small business customers have been disconnected since the winter ban on disconnections came into effect on November 15, 2019. Burlington Hydro has continued to issue late notices to customers who have fallen behind in their obligations, but without issuing any disconnection notices.
We Can Help
Many of our customers have been through a difficult number of months due to the pandemic. For those struggling to pay their electricity bills, please remember that there are a number of options available to assist you:
- Burlington Hydro will work with customers and offer a number of payment terms/options for those who are struggling to pay their electricity bills. Call us and speak with a Customer Service Representative, Monday – Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm – 905-332-1851
- Several assistance programs* are in place to help those facing financial challenges:
- COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) is a one time, on-bill credit for eligible residential electricity customers to help them catch up on their energy bills and resume regular payments: https://www.burlingtonhydro.com/about/news-programs/covid-19-energy-assistance-program-ceap.html
- Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) – The program provides a one-time payment towards your electricity if you are behind on your bill, for eligible customers: https://www.oeb.ca/rates-and-your-bill/help-low-income-consumers/low-income-energy-assistance-program
- Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) – If you are in a lower-income household, you may qualify for a reduction on your electricity bill: https://ontarioelectricitysupport.ca/
*The deadline to submit an application for the Affordability Fund program is July 31, 2020. The Fund provides free energy-saving upgrades, which can help lower home energy use and your electricity bill. https://www.burlingtonhydro.com/powertoconserve/low-income-families/affordability-fund.html